Monday, July 25, 2016

PLEASE DONATE Miles of Mercy Campaign

I'm inspired by the work of FARM SANCTUARY INC and want to support them by raising money! This September I will be traveling to Berlin Germany to run my 6th marathon as a part of Team Farm Sanctuary! In doing so I have pledged to raise funds to aid in the awesome work they do to aid animals. Any amount you can spare to this worthy cause would be greatly appreciated! DONATE @ http://tinyurl.com/compassionBerlin I’m going to be taking on 26.2 miles (42.2 kilometers) to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living, I would challenge you to give me a dollar for each of those miles (or kilometers) if you are able! DONATE @ http://tinyurl.com/compassionBerlin My name is Rebecca Garcia and I am from Sylmar, Ca. I am 33 years old and began running cross country when I was in 10th grade, and found that running was a way to cope with the stresses of life (my mother is a type 1 diabetic with a lot of various medical problems), it was for me the greatest outlet where I could really discover myself and be free. Running has always provided something profoundly special for me. When I was 19 I was in a nearly fatal car accident which jeopardized my ability to ever run again. Doctors told me that running would not be a possibility in the future because of the injuries I sustained. I refused to take that as my fate and began to work extra hard to recover, doubling up on my physical therapy and ordering a Pilates workout from a late night infomercial I saw while in the hospital. I was able to recover and by the age 24 I had run my first half marathon, and by age 25 I had run my first full marathon, and I've never looked back. Running once again has saved my life. Last year I ran over 1000 miles and 19 half marathons. This year in March I became vegan "cold turkey" (for lack of a better term), I fell in love with Esther the Wonder Pig on Facebook. One day after I had eaten a pulled pork sandwich at a friend’s baby shower I was so filled with guilt, I was a wreck; I had never made this connection before. I decided I would try and give up meat, pork and beef to start with. In September of 2014 I found, rescued and raised two 1 day old kittens so I had developed I deeper love for animals and began to try and spread awareness for your household pets, mostly cats how important it is to spay and neuter, TNR, foster, adopt don't shop etc. I raised and adopted out 9 additional kittens in 2015. But Esther the Wonderpig began to stir up something else in me. I then came across the Gentle Barn on Facebook, an organization similar to Farm Sanctuary, where in TN they rescued a dairy cow and reunited her with her lost calf; Maybelle and Miles and through their story I learned all about the horrors of the dairy industry and could not stop the emotional trauma I felt on behalf of these animals. That was it I was vegan. Even writing this now I am overwhelmed with emotion from the pain and suffering. I cannot imagine and will not live any other way, nothing will ever suffer for my benefit, there is no need. My new passion is being vegan, it's not some trendy label, it's not some health fad, or a diet. It is a conscience life change that I am fully committed to for the rest of my life. My running has not stopped or diminished since making this life style change in fact I am stronger and faster, I continue to run 5 times a week and run about a half marathon every month. In May of this year I logged the most miles I've ever run in one month; 171 miles. Farm Sanctuary shares the same ideals as me, they want to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals and promote compassionate vegan living. In many ways moving toward a plant based life style has helped me glorify God, it avoids the animal cruelty, environmental damage and human misery associated with factory farms. All God’s creatures demonstrate a full range of feelings, curiosity pleasure, playfulness, love, joy, fear, anger pain and suffering. It is in our society today that we view some animals in higher regard than others; we pass judgement on other societies for their practices when we can be seen to the same atrocities to different animals. For example every year people in the united states get very outraged by the Yullin dog festival that happens in Asia, however we inflict the same type of heinous behavior on the animals that are commonplace on our plates here; Cows, pigs, chickens etc. Cows just like dogs like to play and enjoy each other’s company, pigs are intelligent and curious and form bonds with one another as well as with other species, even chickens has distinct personalities and can learn their own names. In many ways the animals we eat are just like the animals we keep as pets. Yet these animals often have no voice, and aren’t given a second thought, we are blind to the tortures they endure because we want to live out a comfortable lifestyle. Castration, debeaking and other painful mutilations are routinely done without any pain relief. Egg-laying hens are crammed into cages so small they cannot spread their wings. Pregnant pigs spend months in stalls so narrow they can’t even turn around. Mother cows grieve for days or weeks after their calves are taken from them so we can drink their milk. In today’s factory farming they embrace any practice that increases profit regardless of how much pain suffering and death it inflicts on the animals. All of these animals live a life of horror never feeling any love or compassion simply to be lead to their death when their worth is done. By avoiding the products of animal exploitation we are showing love and respect for creatures that trust us and want to befriend us, by consuming products of factory farms we are simply sponsoring this cruelty. The animal agribusiness industry has been doing its best to hide the truth from the public, by passing laws that make it a crime to photograph or otherwise expose how these animals are routinely abused. In Many countries including the United States standard procedures on farms are legal, regardless of the pain and suffering they cause. Practices such as bodily mutilations, which would warrant felony animal cruelty charges if done to a dog or a cat are perfectly legal when don’t to a pig, chicken or cow. Being vegan is a major lifestyle change, I am not judging or speaking ill of anyone that has not made this change in their own life, but I am asking you to view how God is working in my life to show compassion and mercy to all living creatures. If you are able to help donate to my efforts on Team Farm Sanctuary you will be helping an organization that promotes compassionate living and educates on the benefits and ways to transition. Not everyone can make the decision “cold turkey,” but I am here to let you know that it is not hard. For me it is the hard part is realizing the past life I lead and all the life lost. I want to make myself available as an example that I am a happy, healthy, kind, compassionate child of God. I’ve had many blessings in my life where God has brought me out victorious over my trials. I want to use these victories to empower others, to be a witness. This latest opportunity to run the Berlin marathon for Farm Sanctuary is such a blessing and has let me bring two of my biggest passions together. It is very empowering opportunity. I want to share my story that every run is a blessing. I will take great pride in running for Farm Sanctuary and raising money for a very worthy cause. Please help me help the amazing organization FARM SANCTUARY INC by giving whatever you can by using the ‘Give Now’ button. The more people know about FARM SANCTUARY INC, the greater their impact will be and the more lives they can change. Please help me to spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means the world to me. I’m going to be taking on 26.2 miles (42.2 kilometers) to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living, I would challenge you to give me a dollar for each of those miles (or kilometers)! DONATE @ http://tinyurl.com/compassionBerlin

No comments:

Post a Comment