Thursday, June 23, 2016

Berlin marathon - Farm Sanctuary


My name is Rebecca Garcia and I am from Sylmar, Ca.

I am 33 years old and began running cross country when I was in 10th grade, and found that running was a way to coupe with the stresses of life (my mother is a type 1 diabetic with a lot of various medical problems), it was for me the greatest outlet where I could really discover myself and be free. Running has always provided something profoundly special for me. 

When I was 19 I was in a nearly fatal car accidents high jeopardized my ability to ever run again. Doctors told me that running would not be a possibility in the future because of the injuries I sustained. I refused to take that as my fate and began to work extra hard to recover, doubling up on my physical therapy and ordering a Pilates workout from a late night infomercial I saw while in the hospital. 

I was able to recover and by the age 24 I had run my first half marathon, and by age 25 I had run my first full marathon, and I've never looked back. Running once again has saved my life.

Last year I ran over 1000 miles and 19 half marathons. 

This year in March I became vegan "cold turkey" (for lack of a better term), I fell in love with Esther the Wonder Pig on Facebook. One day after I had eaten a pulled pork sandwich at a friends baby shower I was so filled with guilt I was a wreck, I had never made this connection before. I decided I would try and give up meat, pork and beef to start with. 

In September of 2014 I found, rescued and raised two 1 day old kittens so I had developed I deeper love for animals and began to try and spread awareness for your household pets, mostly cats how important it is to spay and neuter, TNR, foster, adopt don't shop etc. I raised and adopted out 9 additional kittens in 2015. But Esther began to stir up something else in me. I then came across the Gentle Barn on Facebook, an organization similar to Farm Sanctuary, where in TN they rescued a dairy cow and reunited her with her lost calf; Maybelle and Miles and through their story I learned all about the horrors of the dairy industry and could not stop the emotional trauma I felt on behalf of these animals. That was it I was vegan. Even writing this now I am overwhelmed with emotion from the pain and suffering. 

I cannot imagine and will not live any other way, nothing will ever suffer for my benefit, there is no need. My new passion is being vegan, it's not some trendy label, it's not some health fad, or a diet. It is a conscience life change that I am fully committed to for the rest of me life. 

My running has not stopped or diminished since making this life style change in fact I am stronger and faster, I continue to run 5 times a week and run about a half marathon every month. This past month, May 2016, I logged the most miles I've ever run in one month; 171 miles. 

The opportunity to run the Berlin marathon for Farm Sanctuary would let me bring two of my biggest passions together. It would be a very empowering opportunity for me. I have always longed to run Berlin, I've ran the Amsterdam marathon twice, but Berlin is flatter and faster. I have travel arrangements to be in Europe at the time the marathon takes place so it could not work out any better. I truly hope you will consider me for one of your available bibs for the Berlin marathon. I would take great pride in running for Farm Sanctuary and for raising money to help animals in need who are often overlooked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment