Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Arroyo Creek Half Marathon

This Sunday I ran the Arroyo Creek Half Marathon, formerly know as the Simi Valley Half Marathon. This was the 4th year of this race. I ran this race back in June 2011, I think it might have been the inaugural event. My time then, when I was 28 was 2:04:24. This was the first half marathon that I ran since moved back home. I remember being so bummed out because I wanted my time to be closer to 2 hours. I'd had only ran 1 half marathon the whole time I was in Europe. Yesterday's race however I finished in 2:02:13!

Another great tidbit about this race was that I got to meet up with an old friend of mine! This was his first race! He is running the Avengers and the Star Wars Half marathons at Disneyland (I'm doing Star Wars too!), so he decided to sign up for a warm up race. I was able to see him before the race, I saw him on the course where we shared a high five (I've always wanted to do that!). We also met up the end of the race. I shared some Eternal water with him and his mother and chatted about the race and running. I let him know if he needed any running tips to hit me up. I never had a running mentor and figured everything out from participant observation. I raved about PRO compression socks, and even pumped up aquaphor. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Jan for the Star Wars half!!!!

I felt pretty good during this run and after I went to the beach and played in the water for as long as I could. I was fine to run 6 miles on Monday, a little slow but not sore.

I have been kind of down in the dumps lately because my neck and trap muscle have been hurting causing me to excuse my being lazy. I gotta snap out of it. I am getting acupuncture treatments now in lieu of chiropractic treatments, so we'll see how that pans out. I just have to remember that as much as I want to lay and my shoulder is bugging me, it's all gonna be worse if I do no active activity at all.

My miles for August have really been suffering, and I didn't blow June out of the water with my July numbers like I wanted to! Now I have to really mission it if I want to beat July's miles this month.

I'm running the San Diego Free To Breathe Run/Walk. I am running with Team Julia Gruca, a young woman who lost her life to a long fought battle with stage IV small-cell lung cancer. Julia was a long time best friend of a good friend who I met while studying in Amsterdam, who happened to also be from So Cal. It is a very touching story. If you would like to learn more, join our team, or donate you can find more info here: Team Julia Gruca

No comments:

Post a Comment